[thelist] [CODE] bloated image src names

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Wed Nov 13 05:25:01 CST 2002

At 17:35 12/11/2002 +0000, r937 at interlog.com wrote:

>seriously, if you have images in an "images" folder, i bet you can
>replace the slash with an underscore, and not hit the 64-char
>file name limit, and does that make an individual image any
>harder to find?

   Imagine that you have, say, a D&D news site. You have a directory called
"images" (alongside, say, "content", "pressreleases" and "promos"), in
which are directories "covers", "photos", "miniatures", "logos", "maps",
and "misc". In covers, you have "wotc", "sss", "malhavoc", "greenronin".
Now, since you know your own naming conventions, it's just as easy to look
for covers_wotc_phb.jpg as it is to look for images/covers/wotc/phb.jpg

   However, if you're out sick, and someone needs the Players Handbook
cover on the site. With a "normal" directory structure, they click on
"images" (since it's easy enough to guess it's not in the others), then
"covers" (since it's a cover), then "wotc" (since it's published by Wizards
of the Coast) and it's then not hard to find "phb.jpg".

   If they're confronted with 1600 filenames all at once, though, it takes
a lot of guessing to figure out if you would have decided to call it
"images_covers_wotc_phb.jpg", "covers_wotc_phb.jpg", "wotc_covers_phb.jpg",
"phb_cover.jpg" - or whatever other sequence of meaningful words makes
sense. It's like phoning directory enquires for Joe Stanton's number, and
having them read you everything under "S".

  And with all that said, I can barely remember my own naming conventions
from last week, let alone a site I worked on last year...

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365705