[thelist] XML/XSLT & ASP question

Jason Lustig lustig at buffalo.edu
Wed Nov 13 13:40:01 CST 2002

<First, what is the intended browser audience? Are you using an XSL
stylesheet for the transform?>

Well, we want the transform to work on almost all browsers. So we want
the transform to happen on the server-side... a client-side transform
might work if we were only targeting IE 5.5+ or mozilla/nn6+ users, but
we want it to happen on the server-side.

<If you want it to be available on more browsers though, try creating a
transform.asp script which takes the path to the XML file to be
transformed
and returns the result. Off the top of my head this should work:>

OK, well, we originally considered something like that, but we decided
that in order to make it use the least number of files and make linking
easier for the people who will be writing the pages, who won't be
computer gurus, in addition to the fact that we already have a number of
pages and would like to convert them in the fastest way (i.e. we don't
want to have to go in and fix all the links), we want it to take the
data from the file that it is currently in.

Would it be possible to perhaps read in the current script that it is
being called from, in the transform.asp script, with something (some
extra asp thrown in) to stop it from recursing infinitely from the asp
xml file -> transform file -> back -> infinitely?  I'm not sure if that
would work...

--Jason