[thelist] mod_rewrite help ...

MarsHall evolt at marsorange.com
Wed Nov 13 15:13:00 CST 2002

On Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002, at 10:02 US/Central, Kevin wrote:
> RewriteRule item-(.*),(.*),(.*)\.html$
> http://www.otherdomain.com/cgi-bin/
> engine.pl?action=page1&C1=$1&C2=$2&T1=$3
> [PT]
>
> The problem I am having is that the the URL in the address bar changes
> the new domain? Is there any way to stay within the original domain?

Your rule performs an external redirect because you are sending the
user-agent to a different host.

If the redirection stayed on the same server, as written, this
RewriteRule would be an internal redirection like you want.

AFAIK, there is no way around this, besides using some form of proxy
script/application that would take every request to your server within
certain constraints, make those requests to the third-party server on
behalf of the original user-agent, and return each response as if it
was it's own.

That sounds like a beast of burden and bandwidth to me!

Mars :)