[thelist] XML/XSLT & ASP question

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Wed Nov 13 15:31:01 CST 2002

>OK, well, we originally considered something like that, but we decided
>that in order to make it use the least number of files and make linking
>easier for the people who will be writing the pages, who won't be
>computer gurus, in addition to the fact that we already have a number of
>pages and would like to convert them in the fastest way (i.e. we don't
>want to have to go in and fix all the links), we want it to take the
>data from the file that it is currently in.

OK, this is really starting to hurt my head. ;)

Sounds like you want to specify the include, reference the XML file via the
browser (e.g. type in www.foo.com/blarg.xml) and have it execute the
transformation, right? Sorry, all the talk about reading the buffer was
throwing me way off.

Can you install ISAPI filters on your server? If so, try this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxslgen/ht
ml/xslisapifilter.asp

This will let you take a standard XML file with a stylesheet declaration (as
referenced in a previous e-mail in this thread) and it will then determine
if the browser can handle a client-side transform. If so it sends it
directly to the client, otherwise it transforms it on the server and then
sends the output to the client. Best of all you don't need to do anything,
just point to the XML file.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Thanks,
-dave