[thelist] XHTML and Netscape 6

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 13 17:30:01 CST 2002

>Everytime I use an XHTML declaration, it break up the design see
>http://dev.headsup.ctsg.com/about/

At the moment the design is not broken in Mozilla 1.1 . Actually, comparing
it to IE6, I can find only very minor differences.

More in general: if doctypes give you trouble, just remove them. Nothing bad
will happen.

The problem with doctypes is that every browser vendors (IE Win, IE Mac and
Mozilla) has thought up its own version of 'doctype switching' and 'strict
rendering'. Of course these versions are completely incompatible, so the
doctype that works in one browser will break the other. Therefore my general
advice is not to use doctypes.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
New: Interview by Carole Guevin:
http://netdiver.net/interviews/peterpaulkoch.php