[thelist] XHTML and Netscape 6

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 14 04:17:01 CST 2002

> > The problem with doctypes is that every browser vendors (IE Win, IE Mac
>and Mozilla) has thought up its own version of 'doctype switching' and
>'strict rendering'. Of course these versions are completely incompatible,
>so the doctype that works in one browser will break the other. Therefore my
>general advice is not to use doctypes.
>
>Are you joking?   This guarantees that you will be in quirks mode, and
>guarantees incompatibility.

Incompatibility with what? Besides, if you *do* use doctypes, the browsers
are incompatible, too.

But use a doctype or not, as you wish.

>At least with standards mode, they are all aiming at the same thing (e.g.
>the box model in ie6 is fixed, and matches
>mozilla, opera and konqueror).

Aiming, sure, but missing by miles. Let them miss in the old familiar quirks
way that we can handle instead of in a wholly new way.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
New: Interview by Carole Guevin:
http://netdiver.net/interviews/peterpaulkoch.php