[thelist] Generating static Pages

Chris Marsh chris at webbtech.co.uk
Fri Nov 15 08:56:01 CST 2002

> I have a client who wants me to generate static pages from my
> asp pages!
>
> To quote He's asking "Is there an ASP component that will
> convert all the ASP pages to HTML? Or do you know how to
> programme so that there is no "?" in the URL? e.g. instead of
> http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/products.asp> ?camera=45 it
> could be
> http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/products.asp/camera/45.htm"
>
> Does anyone know of any component that can do this or any
> suggestions for coding this? I'm using Microsoft VBscript for
> my asp pages and they are hosted on win2k servers if that helps.

Can you do something with a custom 404 page? Not that I've done it
personally, but I guess if all of your links are created dynamically,
then if they don't exist you will be forwarded to the 404 page. If there
is logic within the 404 page that builds the querystring from the URL
entered, then you can Server.Transfer to the correct page and Robert's
your mother's brother. This is fine if you're using IIS5, but AFAIK
you'll have to Response.Redirect if you're using an earlier version,
which will reduce the speed of your application further.

HTH

Regards

Chris Marsh