[thelist] Generating static Pages

Carlos Costa Portela ccosta at servidores.net
Fri Nov 15 09:08:01 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Tony Crockford wrote:
> It would be helpful to have an understanding of why...
>
> I've used PHP to create a whole site's worth of static pages from data
> input with a CMS, but that was so I had a static site that could be more
> easily hosted/transported and indexed by search engines.
>
> It's possible to make your dynamic site search engine friendly, but why
> was it dynamic in the first place?  - making static pages takes that
> away.

	Another advantage of statify is improving the speed, isn't it. You
can have the best of both worlds. We, at http://www.biologia.org/ (a
dinamic site) have a lot of sections statified (not a whole page) and,
each hour, for example, we generate the new sections.

	As a note, you can generate static pages querying the database
with a script and writting the output to the appropiate directory.

	Hope this helps,
		Carlos.

       [ http://www.biologia.org/ :: portal especializado en Biología ]
| e-mail:  ccosta at servidores.net | home page: http://casa.ccp.servidores.net |