[thelist] <base> and DOCTYPE

Liorean Liorean at user.bip.net
Fri Nov 15 20:15:01 CST 2002

At 18:14 2002-11-15 +0300, Ashok Hariharan wrote:
> >What happens when you remove the doctype altogether?
>Curiouser & curiouser....it works in Moz when I remove the doctype ! Is it
>something to do with the URI for the dtd ? i vaguely recall some kind of
>bug like that in the early beta versions .

It's a problem with the server response. It send the wrong content type,
probably sending application/x-pointplus, application/x-octetstream or
text/plain instead of text/css. Since moz in standards mode only tries to
parse the files that has a content type it understands, it throws away
files that the server serve up differently.

Note that according to the W3C, moz is doing things the correct way, the
others aren't. CSS should just be parsed if it's sent with a text/css
content-type header value.

When you remove the doctype, moz goes from standards mode to quirks mode,
though, and that makes it parse the stylesheet regardless of what it's
served as.

// Liorean