[thelist] legalities of posting received emails on a website

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sun Nov 17 13:36:01 CST 2002

At 12:31 AM 18-11-02, Merlene Paynter Blacha wrote:
>My understanding of
>postal mail is that once the mail is put into the post the recipient of
>that letter is the "owner" of it legally.

That statement shocks me. My understanding of copyright is that unless it
is explicitly transferred, it lies with the original creator.

(A notable exception to this would be work done by an employee for a
company. If you write a marketing brochure for your company, for instance,
the company owns the rights to that work.)

>Would this not be the same for
>email? Once it's received does not the recipient then "own" the message?

I would certainly hope not.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy