[thelist] mod_gzip

Peter VanDijck pvandijck at lds.com
Mon Nov 18 09:09:01 CST 2002

Hi all,
I was looking for ways to reduce my bandwidth and someone suggested
mod-gzip. (It compresses pages before they are sent to the browser - the
browser then decompresses them.) Bandwidth reductions of 50% seem
common, but good documentation seems really hard to find. My questions:

- My pages get generated by PHP using mod_rewrite. Is that a problem?
- How hard is it to set up for someone with limited sysadmin skills but
complete access to a virtual server? What's the average amount of
tinkering time needed to get it to work ok?
- Any issues I should be aware of?
- Good documentation?

Cheers,
Peter