[thelist] Javascript Querystring?

Saila, Craig Craig.Saila at bgminteractive.com
Mon Nov 18 11:14:01 CST 2002

> Is it possible to use some javascript to make all links on a
> page contain a querystring variable?
>
> eg get javascript to add '?foo=fee' to all links

I do that on my site to switch templates...
 <http://www.saila.com/> (normal)
 <http://www.saila.com/?lowfi> (text-only)
...but it only works in W3C-DOM-compatible browsers.

The code snippet here would check to see if the query string contained a
variable, say "?foo=fee", and if it did it would add "?foo=fee" to all
the links:

(where v = the query string, for example, "?foo=fee")

function changeLink(v){
  var links = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
  for(x = 0; x < links.length; x++){
    v = escape(v)
    var the_link = escape(links[x])
    if((the_link.indexOf(v)!=-1){
      links[x].setAttribute("href",unescape(the_link) + v)
    }
}

You'd call this function at the end of a page or onload. You may also
want to add filters in here (for example some links may have a
hard-coded query string, others you may not want to change).

--
Cheers,

Craig Saila