[thelist] legalities of posting received emails on a website

AJ Dalton a_j_dalton at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 18 12:31:00 CST 2002

Hi All -

The web is a new ball game - and I'm glad we're seeing discussions on this
and other things like it.

RE:  the original question - 'is it legal'?

The discussion went to ownership.  Maybe that is not the right question.  A
painting or a car are items with value.  E-Mai is communication.  It is not
a work of art produced for one's own sake or for sale.

I doubt that any court would uphold any claim if you posted verifiable
copies of communication as 'information' or 'news'.  We see this all the
time.

I assume that the recipient isn't trying to sell it or convey title to it
and probably is not trying to make a profit from it directly.  Consumer
reporters write about businesses' actions and communications all the time.
They are merely reporting on something that happened.

FWIW,

AJ