[thelist] CSS: rendering problem

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Mon Nov 18 12:56:08 CST 2002

hi.

i am working on a simple intranet site right now and ie6 is doing a
weird thing (as expected?). i'm venturing into the world of tableless
design with this simple project and frankly i'm dissapointed so far.

maybe it's my own fault, or maybe it's just ie.

when i load the page in question, the main body <div> which encapsulates
a few other <div>'s is rendered about 25% of the height it should be. if
i switch to another window and cover up the page, it will be correctly
drawn. as well as if i scroll down, i will see the bottom of the content
box as if it had been drawn correctly.

(i'm going to do a diagram of the page because this site is internal. i
can of course provide code if need be.)

12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
|                                            |
| +----------------------------------------+ |
| |   Here Is The Header                   | |
| +----------------------------------------+ |
|                                            |
| +-------+  +-----------------------------+ |
| |Here   |  | Here Is The Content Box In  | |
| |Is The |  | Question                    | |
| |Menu   |  +-----------------------------+ |
| +-------+    Here Is The Content Of The    |
|              Content Box In Question       |
|            |                             | |
|            | Here Is Some More Content   | |
|            | For The Content Box         | |
|            +-----------------------------+ |

the page background is a medium blue, the boxes have a white background
with a medium-dark blue 5 pixel border.

mind you, the diagram i made is what the page looks like if i scroll
down to the bottom and back up again to the top. if i don't scroll at
all after the page loads (and on reload as well) i will only see what
appears to be a complete main body content box with content spilling out
of it.

any ideas off the top of your head?

thanks,
chris.