Why 800x600 was RE: [thelist] What shall we do with the W3C DOM - part 2

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Mon Nov 18 14:23:00 CST 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Kyle Murphy wrote:

> Try setting your resolution above 800x600.....do people still use
> 800x600...and, if so, why?

Bearing in mind that this was originally asked as a rhetorical question,
but has since been jumped upon by some very smart people...

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for someone to show up on one of these lists who's
a serious cheeleader for lower resolutions.

For myself... I'm one of the multiple window users that Carole describes.
My "main" window as a rule is resized (bookmarklet) to 848x960; I run
1280x1024x24 'cause I'm running old hardware on an integrated mobo (which
makes for one of the most stable systems I've ever used, which in turn is
why I put up with it).

...And I'm one of those people who will drop into 1280x1024 on a 17in/43cm
CRT without flinching (though I tend to sit much closer to the display in
that environment).

Why?

Because I've been using computers long enough to know what happens to
one's efficiency when they have more display area to work with.   This is
no less true for programming than design or content tasks, IMO.

Browsing fullscreen or anything close to it, defeats the purpose for which
I once put myself into hock for my 19" display, and why a 23" display and
new video card are definitely on my wish list.

Meanwhile...

The decline of optical acuity experienced by folks as they get older,
cannot be understated.  Ask any optician or opthalmologist; they'll
doubtless be able to launch into details that would surprise you.

In fact... could anyone's opthalmologist be encouraged to help develop an
article for the site?   (I don't have one, else I'd see what I could do.)

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Associate Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."