[thelist] php design question

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Nov 18 20:35:01 CST 2002

>          Objects are /different/ than includes.

i shall take that on pure faith for the time being

>          Every time you include something, it will run. Every time. The
> whole code.
>
>          With an object, it runs only when you ask it to run. It only
> "exists" once, and you just reference back to it.

if i ask it to run, it runs?  and i would not ask it to run if i didn't want
it to?

and assuming i don't include something if i don't need it -- i mean,
why would i? that'd be just as silly -- then so as far as "running" goes,
there's no difference?

>          An include "exists" as many times as you include it.

i would include an include only once on each page though

to me, an include does something, like runs the SELECT statement
to get the menu items out of the database

i would only do that once on each page, and even then, with query
caching, it might not really run!!   (can objects do that?)

or an include is a snippet of code, like the footer text, which i have
a hard time seeing why i would want more than once per page...

>          Imagine there's a beach ball in your house. That's an object.
When
> you want to bean somebody in the face with it, you just pick up the beach
> ball and throw it.

martinis, cars and tires, bean a beach ball in your baby's face...

i still don't get it

>          You don't make a _new_ beach ball every time you want to throw it
> at somebody. That would be an include.

thanks for trying, but could you relate that to html, divs, web pages, and
includes (which i take to be portions of web pages, or portions of the
scripts
that generate web pages) -- like, a nav bar at the top of each page

isn't each web page a new page?  and you're saying if i want to pick up
that beach ball and serve it to your browser, that's an include?

or, if it's an object, and it exists only once, how do i send it to your
browser?

or are you saying every web page in my web site is written with
encapsulated objects that i just have to use the right method of?

   $webpage --> thiswebpage.code()

well, that may look neat, but it's still smoke & mirrors to me

;o)

rudy