[thelist] php design question

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Nov 18 21:57:01 CST 2002

> ColdFusion is objects that are pre-built to solve the most common
> Web-specific programming tasks. That's why it seems so simple :)

ah, i get it -- finally!!

i need object oriented programming if i hope to write the equivalent of
the coldfusion server

folks, thanks for all the lovely explanations

max, your example wins the prize as best illustrating my predicament

if i want to use an include, i go "include navbar.txt"

if i want to use a class, i say "dance, nav bar, dance" and go
"navbar.show()"

i still don't see the difference, but boy oh boy, i do hope they ask me this
on my next job interview

eric, you said i don't get any parameterable functions from the include

sure i do

<cfset team="da bears">
<cfset week=11>
<cfinclude listgames.txt>

if you're gonna say "hey, the listgames include needs to have a couple
variables set or else it won't work right," the answer is yes, if i wrote it
that way

ron, you make it sound like with classes the programmers can't screw up:

> Another of the main points is for code reuse. Someone else should
> be able to take any of the classes and reuse them without so much
> as changing a line of code. All you need to know is how to implement
> it and you are away.

change that paragraph and say "includes" instead of "classes" and
you have exactly the same result, someone can use includes without
changing a line in them -- assuming they were written with that in mind,
which they would be, and assuming you know how to use them

rudy