[thelist] Registering form changes without form submission

mpember at phreaker.net mpember at phreaker.net
Mon Nov 18 23:23:01 CST 2002

When I was working with the guys from DynAPI, we had this dicussion.  There were various solutions offered.  For one way traffic, a hidden / transparent image could be used to send the data by reloading a url including the new data.

eg: update.php/image.png?name=first&surname=last

If you need confirmation, setting an onload listener for the image can check for any cookies sent back by the server.

On a personal project, I started using java do perform the same function.  I allowed my to force JS to wait until the data was loaded before continuing.  It had some side effects and problems, but if you want to see the code, just drop me a line offlist.

----
Michael Pemberton