[thelist] [ASP] newbie resources

darren darren at web-bitch.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 11:22:07 CST 2002

On Tuesday, November 19, 2002 at 08:54, Ben Morrison wrote:

>> Just out of interest, if I were learning ASP now, I'd learn ASP.NET, not
>> classic ASP. Why did you chose classic ASP? Is it to be able to work on
>> stuff you've already produced in your office?

BM> didn't even cross my mind come to think of it, I was under the
BM> impression that .NET was just a microsoft marketing tactic.

not really.  asp.net is looking to be a rather good alternative to
whatever language you were using before.  it's primarily available on
windows servers, but there are versions out for linux, freebsd and macos
x.  you have the power of a complete programming language, not the
cut-down versions that asp run on; a choice of languages; compiled code;
proper error handling, etc. etc.  all in all, pretty good
stuff...especially if you're primarily an asp developer.

BM> How does it affect ASP installed on servers etc?

it doesn't.  they can both happily co-exist.

BM> Does it make learning current ASP redundant?

to some degree...but if you have to maintain classic asp code, you need
to know classic asp.  depending on your situation, i'd probably learn
asp.net over asp.classic as .net is a whole lot better, but ymmv.

hth,

darren