[thelist] Returned mail that did not originate at our organization

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 11:53:01 CST 2002

> (ourUser at ourDomain.com). when the virus sent the email it replaced any
> sort of legitimate return address with a random address which just so
> happened to be ourUser at ourDomain.com. therefore when the end
> system AOL
> received the email it assumed it was sent from us because of the fake
> return address.
>
> i hope this is true and it makes sense that it might be, but my boss
> doesn't really want to accept this simple answer.

If it's any consolation I have had emails bounced back to me in exactly
the same circumstance and I'm absolutely certain that I didn't send
them.

I think you're right in suspecting a virus I'd say it's very likely to
be bugbear which is very good at spoofing email addresses.

One way to tell is to look at the original message (after cleaning it)
to see if the text sent matches any of the usual virus suspects.

HTH

Tony