[thelist] [ASP] newbie resources

Wade Armstrong wade_lists at runstrong.com
Tue Nov 19 11:59:00 CST 2002

on 11/19/02 12:54 AM, Ben Morrison at ben.morrison at dogstardesign.co.uk
wrote:

>> Just out of interest, if I were learning ASP now, I'd learn ASP.NET, not
>> classic ASP. Why did you chose classic ASP? Is it to be able to work on
>> stuff you've already produced in your office?
>
> didn't even cross my mind come to think of it, I was under the impression
> that .NET was just a microsoft marketing tactic. How does it affect ASP
> installed on servers etc? Does it make learning current ASP redundant?

There's a lot of hype to .NET, but it is an entirely new set of languages
and ASP.NET is an entirely new app server, one that happily coexists with
classic ASP on Web servers.

In your case, I'd think it would be the new languages that would seal the
deal for you. Classic ASP uses VBScript or Jscript as its (most common)
scripting languages; ASP.NET users VB.NET and C# as its (most common)
scripting languages. Both languages are substantially different from the one
they replace, and the entire method of scripting is changed. So knowledge of
classic ASP only slightly increases the ease with which one learns ASP.NET;
and in fact many old habits have to be relearned.

As was already said on this list, the only real reason to learn classic ASP
is if you're planning to maintain existing code. There's no further
development of the scripting languages or the app server itself, so it's a
dead-end.

Wade