[thelist] Returned mail that did not originate at our organization

carole guevin carole at pixeltable.com
Tue Nov 19 11:59:17 CST 2002

hello chris,

:what i think is happening is that this email was sent by some infected
:computer which also happened to have one of our email addresses
:(ourUser at ourDomain.com). when the virus sent the email it replaced any
:sort of legitimate return address with a random address which just so
:happened to be ourUser at ourDomain.com. therefore when the end system AOL
:received the email it assumed it was sent from us because of the fake
:return address.

I want to confirm that I have started receiving such email marked as
*undeliverable* mimicking the exact *look* of a legitimate one... BUT...
there is a *missing* attachment which is my original message if it was a
*real* one.

Right this am again - I received on - with my exact email address but with a
*made up* email address... I think this is either a virus or another *spam*
deception.

What boggles me and drives mad crazy - is that PROGRAMMERS - that perhaps
have grown and learn within our communities... those people who lack
complete moral values - are being PAID - by the porn + spam industries.

Altogether - I run Ad-aware on my machine - and due to the requisite of my
editorial (read having to visit tons of sites) I have *spyware* intrusions
EVERY DAY - I mean it - every freakin' day... This am I lost 2.5 hours
getting rid of XUpiter that installed itself without my knowing. Since last
night - I visited about 200 sites...

I think WE need to do something about this... on how the web was lost!

.c

..web communication design + http://pixeltable.com
...new media culture_magazine + design portal + http://netdiver.net