[thelist] mod_gzip

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Tue Nov 19 16:54:01 CST 2002

"MarsHall" <evolt at marsorange.com> wrote in message
news:D3F53110-FB12-11D6-AC08-00306546A128 at marsorange.com...
> --- proxy/cache issues --- Apparently, some proxies and caches (that
> read actual HTML content such as meta-tags) do not play well with
> gzip-compressed HTTP content. I am left wondering if those devices
> would munge the page, drop the connection or throw an error?

I tried running mod_gzip on my own server, and had to give up on it because
some of my friends were getting blank page loads where no content was given
at all.  A simple refresh would load the page correctly, but it was enough
of a hassle that I disabled mod_gzip.

And then again, I've heard plenty of people praising mod_gzip for cutting
down their bandwidth (and thus costs) without any problems, so it might be
one of those "try it yourself and see how it performs on your system"
issues.  You can disable it with one line in your httpd.conf or .htaccess
file, so configuration shouldn't be a big issue.

--
Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu