[thelist] Do I need a back link?

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Tue Nov 19 17:07:00 CST 2002

"Feingold Josh S" <Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov> wrote in message
news:40BE5618BBFAD6119DAC0004ACE530C6869756 at chm0010mb01.atsc.irs.gov...
> When developing for an Intranet, I often have a page which is meant to be
> viewed as a report.  In such a scenario, would you include a link back to
> the page they have just come from or just let the user use their back
button
> on the browser?

As Craig said, there's no harm in including a back link.  Before I got my
IntelliMouse Optical with the two side buttons which go back and forth, I
found back links extremely convenient when placed at the bottom of a page,
as I didn't have to move my mouse all of the way up to the toolbar in order
to go back to the previous page.

Also, people who are inexperienced with computers will function *extremely*
better if a back link is at the end of their reading.  As blind as users can
be, they are quite attracted to large blue arrows which say "back",
"previous," or "next" at the end of web pages.  It's only one more page
element, so why not make everyone happy?

--
Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu