[Holy War] Opera v. Mozilla WAS Re: [thelist] JavaScripting in opera7 beta

Max Kanat-Alexander maxka at cats.ucsc.edu
Tue Nov 19 19:02:01 CST 2002

At 02:17 PM 11/19/2002, you wrote:
> > Mozilla, beware! This might be a stronger competitor than ie...
>
>Opera has always been a stronger competitor than IE.... if the UI for Moz
>even gets more fully developed, Moz may one day be a competitor to Opera
>:-)
>
>TjL
>lobbing a holy war hand grenade and running away chuckling

         The advantage of Mozilla is the "quirks" and "almost standards"
mode. Basically, almost every page (the notable exception being Microsoft's
Knowledgebase) displays the same way in Mozilla and IE6. (Since they both
do the DOCTYPE-sniffing thing.) Opera, on the other hand, never had any
interest in duplicating the look of IE (read: mis-rendered) pages. :-)

         However, I would agree that, UI-feature-wise, Opera is king.

         -Max