Why OO? WAS Re: [thelist] php design question

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Tue Nov 19 19:49:01 CST 2002

Max Kanat-Alexander wrote:

>          Say you want the menu items to DO different things on different pages.
Why is it that we cant seem to get away from this 'menu' orientation
with the examples.  It is clearly a huge waste because the examples have
to be absurd before they have any value.

> you want them all to sort themselves in a different order than your SELECT
> statement, based on what surrounds them.
omg. than change your select statement! :)

>          Once again, more useful in complex systems. And more useful in
> application code than in web pages.
too true.

Let me throw a thought experiment out there...

how can you embrace encapsulation while embracing the principle of
separation of content and display?

good encapsulation seems to require your display formatting occur within
the content class.  good separation seems to require your content to not
be formatted in by a call to content.toString() or content.get() or
whatever you want to call it.

--Steve