[thelist] AOL 5 Mac OS 9 what-is-it? (Weird CSS issue)

Geoff Sheridan web2k2 at premonition.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 04:23:00 CST 2002

What is AOL 5 (v20.7) for Mac OS 9? The browser IE5 is also installed
on the machine, but may not be the only browser on the machine.

I know questions like this get asked often, and everyone gets pointed
here: http://webmaster.aol.com/compatibility.html so don't post that
link in reply :)

But that page implies (without actually saying) that the installed
IE5 will be used. The visitor was experiencing some odd CSS rendering
issues which were not at all consistent with IE5, and disappeared
when the visitor just used IE5 au naturel. (I designed the site with
IE5 Mac as the reference browser, so...)

In fact, if anyone's still interested the css is hidden from older
UAs with @import url("styles.css"); which this page
http://pixels.pixelpark.com/~koch/hide_css_from_browsers/summary/
tells me will hide CSS from any pre-5 browser likely to be used by
AOL. The sole exception being IE 4.72 Win - but this guy's on a Mac.

In the VERY unlikely event that one of you chaps has that AOL program
around, the site in question is http://www.westnell.org.uk/christmas/

Thanks guys and gals,

Geoff