[thelist] Do I need a back link?

Dan Stockton prosayist at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 20 22:17:01 CST 2002

.. as "aardvark" wrote on Tue, 19 Nov 2002 at 18:34:01 -0500;

>if it's not JS, then how do you determine the previous page without
>a referrer or a variable passed to the current page? what if the user
>came from a search engine to that page?

.. to which "prosayist" would like to reply at this time;

does the HTTProtocol not have a HTTP_REFERER variable?? I never use
javascript:history.go(-1) (or whatever) always opting to use (in php)
$HTTP_REFERER mostly cause I'm a stickler for what's displayed in the status
bar but also because I'm aiming for utmost accessibility. If they came from
a search engine (through the back door) there would be no back button and
this method would.. work.

-Dan
( .. but that's just my opinion and very much an assumption and most likely
wrong and furthermore, I prob'ly misinterpreted the question )