[thelist] Server-side compression/browser decompression

Dmitri Buterin db at bonasource.ca
Thu Nov 21 15:04:01 CST 2002

We need to speed up our ASP.Net based application (it has no graphics
but sends a lot of text data) for slow connections.
In our research we have come across this system http://www.pipeboost.com
It purports to work by integrating with Web server, compressing its
output on the fly - and then says that modern browsers will decompress
it on the fly. Thus, less data is transferred.
We have not used such things before so I wonder if anybody can share
positive/negative experiences with such systems? Any other similar
systems?
This system is advertised to work with ASP. Anybody knows whether it
will work with ASP.Net?

Thanks!

Dmitri Buterin,
e-Business websites + Usability expertise + Offshore R&D cost savings
db at bonasource.ca - cell (416) 505-0094 - office (416) 410-4059