[thelist] Use PHP for content?

Ray Hill lists at prydain.com
Thu Nov 21 17:49:01 CST 2002

> Wouldn't server-side includes [SSI] do this without
> the overhead of the PHP interpreter?

If what you're including is also static, sure.  But not if you want to
generate a crumb trail, make the tabs and sidebar identify where you are in
the hierarchy, or anything else that requires logic.

> And a print stylesheet in CSS let you do this without
> requiring your user to specifically select a printable
> version (or you to build a custom program for to generate them):

If all you wanted to do was change the elements that the style sheet has
control over (and you didn't care about the people who's browsers don't
support this), that would be great.  But if you want to change the HTML
elements that make up the navigation and look/feel of the site, or you want
your site to behave the same on all browsers, then this trick doesn't cut
it.

And personally, I'd rather have my user click one extra link when they want
to print something than force them to download and install a new browser
(which they may not even have permissions or inclination to do).

--ray