[thelist] more sql help

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Thu Nov 21 17:49:21 CST 2002

Hey Tom,

I'd love to help, but I'm not sure what this means:
> I want menuitems to also be able to be a subcategory of a category as well

Do you mean:

Category1
    SubCategory1.1
        MenuItem1.1a
        MenuItem1.1b
    SubCategory1.2
        MenuItem1.2a
Category2
    ... etc ...

or do you mean that menuitems ARE actually subcategories? That is,
subcategories and menuitems are different things, on the same 'level'?

I'm just not clear on what you're trying to do... but I'm sure I can
help you if I can bring my thick head to understand.

If you're trying to reach my example above, I would suggest that
you have:
    Category
    --------
    CategoryId
    ....... blah

    SubCategory
    -----------
    SubCategoryID
    CategoryID (references category.categoryid)
    ....... whatever

    MenuItem
    --------
    MenuItemID
    SubCategoryID
    ....... and so on

MenuItem would then just have a SubCategoryId, not a categoryID.

You'd end up with something like this:

$result = @mysql_query("SELECT menuitem.*, category.*, subcategory.*
FROM menuitem, category, subcategory WHERE (menuItem.subCategoryID =
subCategory.subCategoryID) and (subCategory.categoryID =
category.categoryID) ORDER BY category, subcategory, item");

But I'm not sure that that's what you want...

Cheers,

Paul