[thelist] graphic design :: fade out?

Geoff Sheridan web2k2 at premonition.co.uk
Fri Nov 22 06:12:01 CST 2002

At 11:59 am +0000 22/11/02, Dave Stevens wrote:
>  oh right sorry, I've not made this clear!
>  I didn't mean I wanted the image to start off normal and then fade  to
>  nothing - though I can see why you thought that! (erk - my apologies!)
>
>I just want a static image that is solid colour on the left, getting fainter
>to the right so that it merges in to the background colour by the end...
>
>Like if you push hard down on a pencil when you draw a line, and then
>release pressure as you go along, so that it gets fainter... Hope that
>explains it :D
>
>Cheers,
>Dave Stevens,  www.stemfiction.com

Right ho. You need the gradient tool in photoshop.
Pick the solid colour you need for the foreground colour in PS.
Choose the gradient tool.
In the second pull-down menu from top right, select the gradient
which fades from your colour to the transparent chequerboard.
On a new layer, drag the gradient tool to produce the fade effect.
Click undo. Do it again until you get the effect you want. The longer
you drag, the gentler the gradient.

HTH

Geoff