[thelist] php form

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 22 10:33:01 CST 2002

Since I am fairly new to PHP I have some questions about 'best
practices' for some things. I am kinda used to doing things the way I
learned them in ASP. I've been looking at others code and seeing some
differences.

1 - When writing out code to your page, is it best to:

a) echo("foo");
b) print "foo";

along with that, when you have a lot of code (say more than one line)
to output, it seems to me better to do this (usually looping through
a result set)

<?
sql etc
being some loop
?>

<normal html code with <?=$vars?> inside>

<?
end some loop
?>

I seem to find that much easier when there is a lot of stuff instead
of worrying about packing it all into one string with quote issues.

2 - What is the difference between <?php and simply <? - i'd prefer
not to type php all the time if I don't have to.

3 - question about isset() - will a form field that has no value
(i.e. <input type='text' value=''>) be considered set or not? I
seemed to have some trouble with that.

TIA

Tom

=====