[thelist] graphic design :: fade out?

Richard McFarland rlmcfarland at attbi.com
Fri Nov 22 10:36:01 CST 2002

Dave,

Thought I'd throw in my $.02 worth here...

In Photoshop, I would fill the background layer with the same color as the
background color of your eventual web page.

I would place the graphic on a layer above that, then apply a Layer Mask
(Layer>Add Layer Mask>Reveal All). This creates a mask for your graphics
layer. You will notice that the color picker defaults to B/W and a new small
layer icon appears next to your graphic layer in the Layers Palette.

Now, using a straight black to white gradient, click and drag in the main
image window (with a black to white gradient, start at the far right side
and drag left to make it fade out at the right side). The farther you drag,
the more the fade.

The advantage of this method, IMHO, is that it doesn't actually change the
graphic layer. You can always discard the mask and your graphic is intact
(as long as you don't flatten the image or save it in a format that does not
support layers).

Then Save For Web as usual.

Have fun.

Richard
--
Richard McFarland (rlmcfarland at attbi.com)

--"The more you learn, the more there is to learn."--