[thelist] ASP help needed

Kathleen Heytink K_HEYTINK at winebow.com
Fri Nov 22 11:13:01 CST 2002

Okay, I did this, but I'm still getting the error message

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near
'='.

David at softv.net [mailto:David at softv.net] suggested
> Try this:
>
> Put your SQL string into a variable:
>
> Dim SqlString
> SqlString = "SELECT * FROM....."
>
> Immediately after your SQL statement on line 173, do a
> Response.Write(SqlString) then type Response.End on the next line.
> This will print out your SQL statement then halt execution so
> that we can
> see what the problem is with it.

I saw this suggestion on several of the web sites, I checked before
bothering you kind folks, but I can't get that to work either.  Yesterday I
was getting an error message about "expected end of statement," but today
the page is still returning that Incorrect syntax near '=' message.

I could post the whole code here, but wasn't sure if posting all of it would
create problems with some mail clients (as I said, I'm a total newbie at
.asp)

As I mentioned the two sections of code work fine if I have them separated
into 2 pages, but when I put them together one doesn't seem to like
something in the other and I get the error.

Basically, I've just been removing one line at time to see what happens, but
I'm at a dead end at this point.  It's probably something like a missing bit
of punctuation, a space or carriage return (or two many carriage returns and
spaces), but I'm stumped because I really don't know what I'm doing <g>

Wish I had the luxury of running through some tutorials, but this page is
holding up the launch of the new design so I'm kind of pressed for time.  I
could just leave the list of wines out (they are on another page), but I
wanted to make it easier for users to jump from one wine to another.

And besides - I'm stubborn.  It's a puzzle and I'm determined to solve it!
<g>

Thanks again,

-- Kath ...
work --> www.winebow.com