[thelist] layers not frames

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Fri Nov 22 17:41:01 CST 2002

i don't think there is anything you can do about it except to hope that
there is some sort of max-height property in css that will work for our
current browsers. (i don't think there is one that will work and frankly
i'm not sure if there is even such an attribute at max-height.)

let's think about it. how would you propose to tell the browser to
scroll-if-the-content-reaches-a-certain-height while at the same time
allow-the-space-to-collapse-if-the-content-is-smaller-than-a-certain-hei
ght? i can't think of any way. that of course doesn't mean there isn't a
solution, just one i can't think of.

what you are probably going to have to do is...

1. throw away the whole idea of a scrolling div/section.
2. decide on the maximum height you can bear to look at and will be
usable for your users and ...
3. not worry about the content box not collapsing when
small/non-existent content is filling the box.

chris.