[thelist] Anyone used these hosts

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Sat Nov 23 19:36:01 CST 2002

http://readyhosting.com/ = BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!

That being said, they're cheap and work fine so long as nothing is
complicated or goes wrong.

In the 16 months I hosted a few sites there, they lost a full website
(and the tape backups somehow!) to a hack -- the refused to elaborta
further and recommended I restore the site using my "personal backup".
It was a db-driven ASP site, and I hadn't downloaded a new copy of the
db from the server in a few days, so I lost a client lost a few days
worth of customer's orders... Not good.

Their customer support is terrible -- my longest hold time on the phone
was 2 hours, and I had to hang up and go to class before anyone helped
me.

I'd say they're OK if you've got a plain ol' HTML site with nothing more
than a few pages of static data. Anything more complex, and you need to
look elsewhere.

[I've got plenty of frustrations pent up inside me towards ReadyHosting
-- but I'll stop now and spare thelist further. E-mail me offlist for
more...]

I switched my sites over to CrystalTech <http://www.crystaltech.com> a
few months back and haven't had a single complaint or problem... Their
support is 24-hour, which ROCKS, their servers have yet to go down, and
I've never been on hold for more than a few minutes.

HTH!
--ken