[thelist] unix/apache security - can someone give me a quick refresher?

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sun Nov 24 19:00:01 CST 2002

> > All I'm looking for is basic authentication: I have the directory
> > 'foo' which I only want available to the user 'bar' which already
> > exists on the server.
>
> This explains it:
> 	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html

Not especially helpful. I understand the *concepts* (I did mention I've done
this in the past) and just needed a quick reminder of the syntax and file
placement for .htaccess and .htpasswd (the one I couldn't remember) No
syntax or step-by-step anything at that linkage; just conceptual info.

I re-figured it out from the Webmonkey tutorial at
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/html/97/08/index2a.html

joel