[thelist] Bookstore Presentation

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Mon Nov 25 03:50:00 CST 2002

I have been invited to make a proposal presentation before the board of
directors of a certain niche book publisher.  They have a web site, but it
is, in technical terms, a piece of crud, and needs to be entirely rebuilt.
I have submitted to them a pre-proposal draft and it was accepted and now
they want an in-person presentation and Q&A session before the board.

My contact there is the marketer and the rebuild is his idea and so he is
100% behind me and has been advising me.  He tells me that this is an old
company and the board members are older gentlemen and they're not
necessarily open to new ideas etc.  (This marketer himself is over 75 years
old, but he is interested in new ideas. :) )  They are, however, businessmen
and understand business ideas and are interested in profits.

This rebuild, in my rough estimation, will run minimum $10K and most
probably a lot more and so my presentation needs to convey (read convince
them of) the idea that such an expenditure is warranted.

He has advised me to:

- Bring hardcopies of sites I have built
- Bring hardcopies of other ecommerce (esp. bookstore) sites with aspects we
might also want to incorporate into our new site
- Bring specific estimates for times and costs for all phases of the rebuild
and maintenance

My questions to evolters are:

1 Any further advice as to this presentation?  I am far from 'corporate'
myself, although I studied theatre in University so I can certainly
impersonate a corporate type.  Some specific ideas as to the content
however, might be helpful. :)

2 Any suggestions as to a full-featured shopping cart/e-store package we
could install?  They currently have a product from make-a-store.com, but I
don't know what product it is (for political reasons I can't look inside the
site just yet) and it looks fairly unimpressive.  We need something
customizable and feature-rich.

Thank you,
Hershel Robinson
Corporate Guy To Be (yeah, right)