[thelist] ASP MAIL - NON-ENGLISH PLAIN TEXT E-MAILS

Shoshannah Forbes sforbes at members.evolt.org
Mon Nov 25 05:42:01 CST 2002

> 1. How do we make the e-mail appear correctly in
> Western European languages, such as Spanish, which use
> symbols not included in English ASCII? We are getting
> unrecognizable symbols in place of, say, an "a" with
> an accent mark.

I don't know any ASP, but in general, the email header should have a
charset declaration.
For example:

for Hebrew (if you can, it is better to send it as 8bit and not 7bit)

> 3. RE: right to left languages can we control the
> alignment so that paragraphs will read from the right
> on the recipient's screen? If so, how? Even if the
> text appears correctly, it is aligned the wrong way,
> which looks very bad.

If the email is plain text, and NOt sent as unicode, you have no way to
control it- that is the email client's job, and is different from one
email client to another (For example, outlook express for windows has
the option in the view-encoding menu, while kmail on linux
automatically goes by the language of the first character in the
paragraph).

You can send the email as plain text unicode, and use the rtl mark and
ltr mark invisible unicode characters to control it- but not all email
clients support them.

Or you can send the email as html, and use dir=rtl and dir=ltr to
control the directionality.

HTH

--
The news, Uncensored http://www.tellinglies.org/news