[thelist] What would be your perfect Newspaper website?

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Mon Nov 25 08:44:01 CST 2002

> What are some things you would do if YOU were
> to design a newspapers website? What would be your perfect newspaper
> website?

I like the way it looks overall.  Here are some points, though, for what
they are worth.

Josh

1) I would use 100% of available screen space with only a small margin since
there is a lot of content that you want to get in front of your readers.

2) Using the above principle I would make your logo/banner smaller, similar
to CNN.

3) Depending on the level of CSS you are moving to (and your expected
browser set) it might be possible to do some safe Javascript drop downs from
the top with the articles underneith.	If not, don't waste so much space
with the left navigation.  Use CSS to do what used to be acheived with
javascript graphical mouseovers.

4) I am curious how many people search the web from your site.  It might be
nice to allow the user to search your archives instead or in addition.

5) Go to typical underlined links.

6) Offer the user the capability to change their text/color scheme.

7) Change the generic logos that adorn your links in the banner (archives,
etc) to something relent to the link.

8) The text in the also in the news box should include the "also in the news
header."

9)  Lose the "click here" and move to whatever other form you like.

10) Put some of your main article on the front page to draw the reader in.

11) Breaking news belongs at the top with the news.

12) Poll is too big as is weather. Mention on the weather drop down that it
is for extended forcast and make it only go when a user hits "go" or
whatever verbiage you prefer.

13) Tell me what the calendar tells me.  Examine if users use the whole
month or just the current date and then put that content there as
appropriate.

14) You have a bunch of links to interactive, what's hot, and online
features.  I would try to bring that all together.

13)