[thelist] Re: SSI disadvantages?

MarsHall evolt at marsorange.com
Mon Nov 25 09:51:00 CST 2002

+++++
I had to back track to figure out which thread this is in response to.
When replying to a Digest, please make sure that you set your Subject
to reflect the thread and not "Re: thelist digest, Vol 1 #2774
blah,blah,blah".

It makes the conversation flow much more easily!
+++++

On Sunday, Nov 24, 2002, at 18:42 US/Central, C Williams wrote:
> So you are going to leave the existing users in the dark
> with no redirects?

As only one of the solutions I suggested involves actually changing
filenames, redirects are unnecessary with all of the other solutions
discussed:

When using content negotiation, as Max suggested and I tried, you can
leave the extensions off of the URL, but you don't have to! The server
will return the object whether requested with or without the extension.

URL rewriting could make the extensions optional too. It would depend
on how you write you RewriteRules & RewriteConds.

Setting the Web Server to process SSI for multiple extensions would not
inherently change the filenames/URLs of pre-existing files.

Mars :)