[thelist] Web Developer Certification

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Mon Nov 25 16:09:06 CST 2002

Howdy all -

Here's a big deep one.

I've looked into thelist archives on this, and found various threads on the
value of certification as it applies to one's ability to get a job, or one's
ability to find a good hire, etc. There have certainly been mixed opinions
on the subject over the past several years, although most 'list-ees seem to
maintain the idea that certification is not necessary, and that your work,
knowledge and experience should speak for itself.

However, as you probably know, this is not the case in many other
industries. Certification in a trade is respected, and even required. It is
often used to determine salaries, positions, etc.

I'm hoping to get facts and opinions on the following questions:

1. What if certification of some sort *was* necessary in the field of web
dev? What currently available certifications would most likely end up being
required? Are there particular certifying bodies already in existence that
would prevail if it really mattered?

2. Should certification in our (mostly) technical field of web development
be required? Should it at least be preferred?

3. Do you hope to see our industry become a more organized, regulated,
functional machine so that it may always work properly, or is it better off
being free and open so that growth and creativity may flourish?

BH