[thelist] Web Developer Certification

Austin Govella austin at desiremedia.com
Mon Nov 25 19:44:01 CST 2002

> Therefore, I am in favor of certification IF it really can mean something
> when you are looking for a job!  Right now I don't think that it will help
> us in the job hunt because they aren't looking at our credentials anyway!
> The HR departments have probably hired high school students to help them
> sift through resumes and wouldn't know MCSE certification from a hole in
> the
> wall!!

And just as important (or just as unfortunate), the people making the job
descriptions have no clue what they're asking for. They just list software
and buzzwords.

For my job hunting, I opened up every tool I could find. They're all
reasonably the same. I looked at them, and I never fail to add a specific
tool to my resume when the job ad asks for it.

The question I ask myself is can I do the job they're asking for. That's
your needs analysis. Everything else si the sale.

Do I use Frontpage? No. I use Dreamweaver and Homesite, and I've *seen*
Frontpage. Can I do their Frontpage job? Hell yes I can.

--
Austin