[thelist] [OT] [ups] hardware advice

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Nov 27 17:14:02 CST 2002

Just some notes on the comments:

[Replacing batteries online]
The APC SmartUPS series provides for online replacement of batteries

[Ability to "shutdown multiple machines"]
APC has an "interface expander" card that can be slotted into the SmartUPS
series (and possible BackUPS Pro series). This lets you control up to 3
machines (1 x Smart Signalling, 2 x Passive Signalling) from the one UPS.
There are more sophisticated options - just look on the APCC website.

I've used both features. They work fine.

On the other hand, you could go for 3 separate UPSes, but you'll have more
cabling mess and since it's not a good idea to run all your UPSes off a
single power board/strip you'll need sufficient wall sockets (if you're
machines are in different rooms this may not be an issue).

One note that I would add: try not to run your monitor through the UPS -
it'll drain the batteries real fast - just get a surge protector instead.

Cheers
Ken

From: "Dave Nelson" <dnelson at netbank.com>
Subject: RE: [thelist] [OT] [ups] hardware advice

: MarsHall [mailto:evolt at marsorange.com] wrote:
: > On Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002, at 07:26 US/Central, kris burford wrote:
: > > i'm basically looking for something that will support three
: > > workstations with emergency shut-down power and surge protection.
: >
: > I suggest three individual, smaller UPS's, instead of one big
: > one. That way, each workstation can use the Automatic System
: > Shutdown feature of its own UPS.
: >
: > Mars :)
:
: I second that recommendation and add that buying UPSs with
: removable/replaceable batteries can greatly extend their usefulness and
: lifetime.
:
: --dave