[thelist] SQL: Need help for query within a store

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Dec 5 21:52:01 CST 2002

> But, now I must add in the idea that each product may have a
> different base cost depending on the country the item is to be
> shipped to (not shipping code, but actual item cost)

if the different base cost varies by country (as you say), then you have to
have a country table and a separate many-to-many price-country relationship
table

if, however, base cost varies by zone, then simply add another field to your
item_shipping_zone_assoc relationship table

if you have the former case, then bringing together two disjoint sets of
data and presenting them in a "neat and orderly" fashion, two adjacent but
unrelated columns of data, then that's a mess and i despair of doing it with
queries

unless, of course, the country table is made a child table of the zone
table....

if, however, you can add a base cost column to your item_shipping_zone_assoc
table, then it's trivial, right?

> Currently, I use two inner joins...

within a single query, right?

rudy