[thelist] remote administration utils

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Mon Dec 9 18:22:01 CST 2002

> i recently came across an issue with giving support to a
> client of mine and so i began looking for some remote
> administration programs. although i've found quite a few, i
> have a few issues with programs like these.

We use IBM's free (yes, free) VNC (Virtual Network Computing)

No fancy file xfer like pcAnywhere, just pure remote control, but it runs on
*nix, Wintel or Mac, as client or host (as in, control your PC from you
Linux box, or your Linux box from your Mac, or what have you.) Other than
pokey screen refreshes, I haven't found anything to complain about. And free
is free.

http://www.tightvnc.com has both the optimized client ('tight') and the
regular.

We've got it on multiple Win2k servers and a few dozen Win2k clients and Red
Hat Linux boxes; oh, Sun Solaris boxes, too. Works a treat.

joel