[thelist] remote administration utils

Max Kanat-Alexander maxka at cats.ucsc.edu
Mon Dec 9 18:51:01 CST 2002

>ok, i think i get this.

         Okay, here's the deal:

         If you open up 5800 and 5900 to the Internet, that's a security
risk. (VNC uses 5900 for its normal client, and 5800 for its web-based
[Java] client.)

         Now, we do it where I work, and nobody's trying to crack our
servers here.

         A VPN allows you to access anything inside the local network,
because it makes you part of the LAN, instead of part of the Internet. So,
you could keep 5900 and 5800 closed and still access your VNC'ed machine.

         It's not the world's worst security risk, I just thought I'd let
you know.

         -Max