[thelist] remote administration utils

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Mon Dec 9 19:07:01 CST 2002

> they are both win2k machines. however, don't you need a
> terminal services license for that, and aren't they expensive?

Used in admin mode, it's built in and free; just has to be enabled (Windows
setup on Control Panel, IIRC)

> i know what terminal services is (i use it a NAS that we
> have), but this client also uses VPN to connec to the
> network, will this cause a problem?

I do it all the time; VPN to work, TS to a server. No problem.

> also, we are very concerned about security, what precautions
> can i take to prevent (at least, try to prevent) malicious
> connections from being made?

If your network perimeter is secure, using TS over VPN isn't going to
introduce any security problems that aren't there already with VPN itself.
The terminal server is going to require a valid login; it's not a wide open
thing.

Difference between TS and VNC/pcA is that TS only creates a session; not the
same as sitting at the console. Not usually an issue, but a point to be
aware of.

joel