[thelist] remote administration utils

Aleem Bawany aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Mon Dec 9 23:53:30 CST 2002

>          Be warned: VNC (including TightVNC) is not a secure solution,
> because it doesn't support passwords longer than eight characters.
>
>          There are tools that can work at cracking VNC passwords, and
I'm
> guessing the max time to crack is somewhere in the vicinity of 48
hours.

>          Despite this, I use VNC and also recommended it to the place
> work, where they use it almost ubiquitously. If you need some sort of
> better security, you could block off ports 5900 and 5800 in the
router,
> and
> then VNC would only be accessible from inside the LAN or through the
VPN.

its' worth mentioning here, that you can run tight VNC over an SSH
tunnel. remote admin (radmin.com) is supposed to have better security,
but tightVNC has awesome compression (you can tweak some additional
settings), and it's convenient (a java client allowing you to connect to
your machine from any java capable browser - too good).

aleem

http://members.evolt.org/aleem/